0 In Lifestyle/ Our Wedding

The Morning of October The Third

The morning of October the third arrived faster than I ever imagined it could. I remember waking up and realising the day we’d been working towards for twelve months was finally here! I’d managed to sleep fairly well for those few hours I actually slept, but by 6am I was ready to start the day. I crept out of my sister’s room, careful not to wake Lauren and Dimity (we’d had a slumber party the night before) and found an even earlier riser than me when I reached the kitchen. Of course it was Mum. She was in the kitchen icing the magnificent three tiered red velvet wedding cake she’d made for us with cream cheese icing. I played official taste tester, we fiddled with some floral decorations, and finally we declared it absolutely perfect. 

Those first few hours of the early morning were spent putting the finishing touches on the reception area – the stunning white silk marquee that had appeared in the middle of the backyard during the week. We arranged our flower centrepieces, carefully laid out our handmade menus and the napkins Ty’s Mum and my Great Aunty Joan had spent hours folding the day before, and cut little clippings of lavendar and rosemary to finish it all off. 


A little bit of breakfast was eaten, and before we knew it, it was 9.30. There was a knock on the front door and I froze as I heard Tyrone call out. I averted my eyes and disappeared into my sisters room, desperate to hold onto a tradition I didn’t even think I cared about. Nan would have been so proud! 

While the boys set up the ceremony and pre-dinner drinks areas, my sisters and I prepped ingredients for our signature wedding cocktail (mojitos) to serve during pre-dinner drinks. Soon the florist arrived with my gorgeous bouquet and corsages for Mum and Ty’s Mum followed by our amazing hairdresser. Bec worked her way through six of us, curling, pinning, spritzing and braiding until we were transformed. 

The process of ‘getting ready’ took a hundred times longer than any of us expected, but the house felt calm and relaxed all day long. There were times I even had to check whether I still remembered it was our wedding day because while I hoped for a calm, relaxing time while getting ready, I didn’t really believe it would be so! 

In between hair and makeup, we paused for some lunch and our wonderful photographer Charmaine slipped away to capture a few shots of the boys getting ready five minutes away. These are some of my favourite photos from the day – they capture the special moments I would have otherwise missed!

^^ Ryan (Ty’s brother), Tyrone and Ryan (best friend from Uni days). I love how happy they all look there!

After lunch, there was only two hours left until the ceremony was scheduled to start and we were all still makeup free and in our robes! Those last two hours passed by in as much of a blur as everyone told me they would. I’d been forewarned of the galloping nature of time though, so I made a conscious effort to try and take in each and every moment, to be truly present and to not get caught up in the final rush of it all.

For the most part, I did really well at this. I have some of the best memories of my sisters and I doing our own makeup, lined up on the floor of my parent’s room in front of their full length mirror, like we used to do when we were younger and still all lived together. I remember seeing my Mum and Dad for the first time, Mum in her beautiful dress, Dad in his handsome suit. I have a vague recollection of my brother standing above us as we did our makeup, doing up his tie in front of the mirror. I remember the knock on the door and seeing our precious niece and nephew for the first time in their flower girl and page boy finest.

^^ My Dad and my brother tying their ties!
^^ My Mum readying the ring cushion my Nan gave me when I was little
^^ My adorable niece Joni as the prettiest flower girl ever! Elliott was a little more camera shy 😉

And then finally, the guests started to arrived and I could hear them drive up the driveway and then pass by the house while making their way to the ceremony area. Butterflies started flapping about madly in my stomach. Our celebrant came and saw me to say a few last words and to let me know Ty had just arrived (another round of butterflies!). When she left to return to the ceremony area, I was still in my robe! I’d somehow managed to leave putting on my dress to the very last minute and by that stage we had to rush a little. I was determined not to be late!

I must have tried my Nicolina gown on at least a dozen times in the lead up to our wedding, but the first time I saw myself in it on my wedding day was something completely different. I felt transformed – this really was my dress, I actually was a bride and best of all, I still felt like me.

I slipped Mum’s floral corsage onto her wrist, and then she carefully pinned her own wedding veil from some 30 years earlier into my hair in those last few minutes before it was time to go. All of a sudden, we were lining up at the front of the house, just inside the door from the veranda. I could see the guests were seated and if I squinted really hard and peeked through the blinds I could see my groom standing at the top of the aisle…

Up next? The ceremony!

P.S. I’ll be sharing photos from our wedding all week, and at the end will dedicate a post to sharing all the supplier information so it’s all in one place. Let me know if there’s anything specific you would like to know, I’ll be sure to include it!

Thanks so much for reading and letting me share these special moments with you! XO

Follow Let Us Wanderlust here:

Bloglovin’ || Twitter || Facebook || Pinterest || YouTube || Google Plus || Instagram

You Might Also Like